Daily style fantasy golf is growing in popularity.
Because it’s awesome.
I started playing in 2014. I love it and I hate it. I want to introduce it to the wider audience. While we are far from fantasy golf experts, we do have our own ideas, tips and strategies to try. Here they are, tell me what you think.
Daily Fantasy Golf Tips & Strategies To Win
Many fantasy golf sites offer points on a per hole basis and points on a tournament finish position. Some sites like DraftKings also offer points on streaks.
1. Learn and compare the sites scoring system and rules. There are no ‘official’ fantasy golf scoring models and the daily fantasy sites all score fantasy golf quite differently. For example, at DraftKings the winner of the tournament gives you a 30 point score for that finish, on top of any points earned on each hole.
2. Pick people who make the cut. Most important across the board is picking players who make the cut. These players who make the cut will rack up points even if they do not finish at the top of the field. Compared to someone who doesn’t make the cut, not only will they not get any points for doing well in the tournament but they do not earn any of the per hole points.
3. Pick the winner. While this falls in the ‘no-duh’ strategy, if you can pick the winner obviously this is a great pick. Go with hot players or recent top finisher at the course.
4. Pick people who score under par. AKA Par-breakers. With fantasy golf you are scoring points on each hole depending on how your golfer does. For example at DraftKings you earn points for birdies(+3), eagles(+8) and double eagles(+20). Picking someone who makes 3 birdies earns as many points as an 8th place overall finish.
5. Pick players who have historically done well on the course over the past few years. – Especially on the ‘tough’ courses it seems to favor people who have historically done well.
6. Use the professional bookies to help your picks. – Let the professional handicappers tell you who to pick. Check the odds on each golfer to win at an online sportsbook. If you are in the US, check Bovada’s PGA Lines. If you are outside the US check Bet365.com. The players paying out the lowest odds to win are the ones the bookies have as the most likely to win. They are correct more than they are wrong. You can even break the odds down farther with seeing the odds to make the top 10. I let the experts do some of the grunt work for you. Combine this knowledge with everything and give yourself a shot at the money.
7. Look at course history. – Golfers who historically have done well on the same courses tend to do well again.
8. Research the course design / layout / build itself. Know if it takes tight accurate approach shots to avoid trouble or if the big bombers can tee off with little fear.
9. Research the greens. – Bermuda or bent? Do any golfers do better than others on certain types of greens. Find those golfers.
10. Compare golfer pricing – Look at other fantasy sports sites and multiple sportsbooks (goodsportsbooks.com lists some good ones) and find player pricing discrepancies.
Bonus Links – Some Good Fantasy Golf Strategy
- PGA Par Breakers Stats
- Rob Bolton – PGATour.com’s Fantasy Guru
- Weekly Fantasy Golf Picks – I post picks virtually every week of the year for the upcoming PGA contests.
- FoF posts strategy articles for the major golf tourneys
- Golf.com’s Stats
- USA Today Golf Stats
- Sportsbook Lines For Upcoming Golf Tournament
- See all our fantasy PGA content.