I’m pretty excited about the addition of golf to the sports available at Fanduel. The format is completely different than Draftkings. It should lead to some pretty exciting tournaments and open up an entire new year round sport to one of our favorite DFS sites, Fanduel. Let’s take a look at playing Fanduel golf.
How Fanduel Golf Works
Draft a total team of golfers that earn points for every hole, for streaks and for overall tournament finish potision.
- Roster: two sets of 4 golfers (eight golfers total)
- 4 golfers play rounds 1-2
- 4 golfers play rounds 3-4
- Earn points per hole, per finishing position and for bonuses such as consecutive holes in a row under par, bogey free round or 5+ birdies
Fanduel Golf Scoring Rules
- Score points on every hole
- Score points for streaks/bonuses
- Score points for final tourney finish position
Earn Points per hole
- 7 – Eagle or better
- 3.1 – Birdie
- .5 – Par
- -1 – bogey
- -3 – Double Bogey or worse
- 0.6 – Consecutive holes in a row under par (streak bonus)
- 0.3 – Hole under par after hole over par (bounce back bonus)
- 4 – Five+ birdies in a round
- 5 – Bogey free round
Tournament Finish Position
It’s important to note that you get points for your Round 1 and 2 picks tourney finish positions. You just don’t get points for their per hole actions on rounds 3 and 4.
- 20 points – 1st place
- 12 points – 2nd-5th
- 8 points – 6-10th
- 5 points – 11-25th
How To Play Fantasy Golf at Fanduel
To play you have to draft your team of eight golfers with a $60,000 salary cap. The highest priced golfer is somewhere around $10,700 and the lowest priced golfer is somewhere around $4500. Remember, you are drafting two sets of four golfers. One set for the first two rounds and one set for the last two rounds. All eight golfers earn points on their finish position at the completion of the tourney. Even the golfers in your first grouping.
Here are some keys to remember:
- Draft two sets of golfers. One set of four for the first two rounds and one set of four for the second two rounds
- Your golfers in your second set only earn points if they make the cut
- Golfers in your first set will earn points even if they do not make the cut
- You want golfers who make birdies to rack up on the per hole points and some of the bonus points like five+ birdies in a round
- You want all of your golfers to do well and finish highly in the tournament
- You can ‘gamble’ a bit more on your first golfers as they will earn points even if they miss the cut
The first thing to do if you do not yet have an account Fanduel is to sign up your account. Sorry New York residents but you can not yet play golf here because it was not a product that was approved previously when DFS was regulated and licensed in New York. The next thing you need to do is find a contest you want to enter. They start out for real money at $1, so you can get in cheaply. I’m going to run a few teams to try it out, wish me luck and I’ll see you on the leaderboards!
Basic Fanduel Golf Strategy
The most common concept is to put your studs in your rounds 3 and 4. Put the chalk players in rounds three and four and go risky with the players in the first two rounds. You need your studs to make the cut for sure or you aren’t getting points for them at all.
Your first two round players are going to earn you some points regardless of whether or not they make the cut. Obviously if they make the cut they’ll have earned you more points per hole and they can earn points if they finish high enough on the leaderboards.
It’s a double edged sword for you because you want your round 1-2 guys to do well in overall finish position but you want them to not do so well on a hole by hole basis if your competition has them in their lineups in rounds 3/4.
I’ll be thinking through and reading on more specific Fanduel golf strategies in the coming months and link to good content as I find it.